AZBOXLA Travel Box – Summer & Fall Schedule
Established in 2015, but dating back to 2005, we are proud to have introduced box lacrosse to over 1,000 players and counting. The growth of the game in AZ began with coaches telling me “ box teaches bad habits”. Today its “we need to get our kids playing box”. That’s a paradigm shift ladies and gentleman . . .
In this regard we are happy to announce that our friends the Misfits have created their own travel team for 2019 in the east valley! We look forward to scrimmages and potential Jr. NLL national teams in the future.
Growing the game is good; growing the box game is better!
As promised AZBOXA has a full slate of leagues and tournaments scheduled. Here are the highlights;
2019 Tournament Schedule
• Calgary Canada Day 6/28 – 7/1: http://canadaday.sportzsoftwebsites.com
• Denver Elite Battle in the Box 7/15 – 7/16: http://www.lxtclacrosse.com/battleintheboxlacrosse/
• USBOXLA Nationals 8/2 – 8/4: https://www.usboxla.com/nationals
• Las Vegas Invitational 12/13 – 12/15: http://www.lacrosseforce.com/vbi/
• Warrior Games: Keeper of the Western Door 12/27 – 12/29: http://warriorgamesboxla.wixsite.com/mysite
ZONA Teams (2019 Divisions)
Peewee: Year Born 07, 08 9 (All tournaments above)
Bantam: Year Born 05, 06 (All tournaments above)
Midget: Year Born 03, 04 (All except Canada)
HS Elite: Year Born 00, 01, 02 (Only Nationals & Las Vegas)
- Returning Players Guaranteed Rosters Spots if Registered by March 31: After that point new players may fill either “A” or “B” team positions as needed. New players require a Coaches Recommendation – No tryouts.
- New Coaches: Cam Wengreniuk (Edmonton AB, Senior A Player w/ Nanaimo/, Senior and leading scorer for GCU Lacrosse) and Mike Suzuki (Calgary, former Senior B player, youth coach, NCAA D1 St Johns)
- New Venues: In addition to the rinks at Peoria Sportplex and Bonsall Park Box Rink we are adding Arizona Sports Complex and the Cactus HS gym
- Two Practices Per Week: We are asking full commitment from players this summer and fall. In return we will commit to your development and results in tournaments. Practices will be on weekends to avoid weekday travel. Peewee & Bantam practices start during the Spring Box League April 7th. Midget & Elite start May 12th.
- Rolled Up Fees: Development requires dedication, practice and playing time. So we are rolling up the fees to give you a break and insure participation in the practices, leagues and tournaments. As part of your Zona travel registration you will receive complimentary registration in the Spring, Summer and /or Fall Box open programs. There you will receive practices and competitive games in addition to Zona specific practices.
- Oh Canada!: Lacrosse in Calgary dates back over 120 years, and the Canada Day Tournament is surely one of the biggest and best box tournaments the world. We received a lot of interest and requests to take a team so here we go . . . The plan is to prepare and send a Peewee and or Bantam team to compete in the C division. Our dollar is strong in Canada so the cost per player less food and travel within Canada is about $1,400. That’s for air-fare ($500 round trip), Hotel ($120 per night x 5) and the registration fee covering all practices, fees, etc. ($300).
Peewee & Bantam age players interested
! Practices will begin April 7 for the tournament June 28